Thursday, October 8, 2015

No words

I'm still in shock I'm forty years old. It's been three days and yet I still feel thirty-nine. The actual "birth day" was pretty uneventful other than some crying and fifty phone calls from Sybil.

After the whole bicycle debacle I didn't expect much from my mother. At best a re-purposed Easter card wishing me a good day, at worst nothing. Turns out I need to reevaluate my expectations.

Sybil called me that morning to get my day off on the right foot.

Sybil: Happy Birthday.
Barry: Thanks
Sybil: I sent you something. You are to call me as soon as it comes.
Barry: Okay. Talk to you later.

At this point I made the assumption she sent me a check for $40 and went about my day. For a second I pondered the idea she went to a store and bought me something, but that seemed absurd. Would she get me a polo shirt? Maybe some GIJoes? No way!

When I came home later, I saw a small vase outside with some crappy flowers you would expect to see at a Nurse's station sitting by the door. I laughed to myself just assuming they were for someone else. I then read the card, "Happy Birthday, blah, blah, blah, love Mom.

I really have no words for this. I'm a forty year old man and my mother sent me flowers for a milestone birthday.

Obviously based on my rage level I decided it would be best to not call Sybil to thank her for her generosity. A few hours and five messages later checking on the status of the gift I finally decided to talk to her.

Barry: Hello
Sybil: Did you get my gift?
Barry: Yeah
Sybil: Why didn''t you call me?
Barry: Because it's a shit gift.
Sybil: What?
Barry: Who sends their son flower for their 40th birthday? Who sends their son flowers, period? I would have rather you given me the cost of the postage.
Sybil: Someone told me it was a good idea.
Barry: I have to go.

The next day, Sybil called to ask me to inventory the gifts I received. I responded swiftly with "Who cares."

That was the end of it. Since then there has been no more mention of the day. Maybe she is saving for my 50th.


No comments:

Post a Comment