Monday, July 27, 2015

It's all about family

When I talk about Sybil it is also good to remember that she had some siblings that were equally wonderful. Her oldest sister Bernice, lived in the suburbs of Philadelphia and pretended she was a WASP. Her kids played tennis and skied. I was mildly jealous, but Sybil was not about to buy me equipment for a sport I was too Jewish to be coordinated to play in the first place.  We would visit Bernice from time to time and for the most part I had a good time. The WASP life provided a swimming pool, a pinball machine, and an ice cream maker.  So basically in my mind she was awesome.  My brother on the other hand has different memories than me. Bernice saw him biting his nails and told him he would never amount to anything because of it. She also told him he had Crohn's disease because he was weak.

As a teenager, my brother told Sybil he hoped Bernice would get cancer and die.  A few years later she did.

Coincidence, I think not.






No comments:

Post a Comment