Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Vegas buffet of medicine

Being a kid is awesome. You are amazed by the simplest shit. For example, take a child out for his first steak dinner and his mind will be blown. It doesn't matter that it was Chili's and the meat tasted like leather. They don't know any better. With this in mind you will understand why when I was little  I thought my mother provided us with amazing health coverage. I based this solely on the fact we had no co-pay. Sure the medical group eventually went bankrupt, but before they did, I was able to go to the doctor every single day and there was never a bill. To a neurotic hypochondriac Jew this was like winning the lottery. 

I went to the doctor for anything and everything. Sore throat, yup. ingrown toe nail, yup. Fart that hurt coming out, yup. By sixteen I had a medical chart that was a few inches thick. My mother not only condoned it but she encouraged me to go as often as I wanted to. When I moved to California, I finally stopped the absurdity (co-pay was $40.) Now when my throat hurts I have my friend that is a hand surgeon call in the Z pack. Only did that four times this year so clearly I am no longer a hypochondriac. As for Sybil she still goes once a week to the doctor whether she needs it or not.  Today it was because her jaw hurt. Last week it was because she had the runs (her words, not mine). 



No comments:

Post a Comment