Monday, June 22, 2015

If only Sybil had Tinder

When I was in college my father went out for a pack of cigarettes and never came back. Feeling abandoned, Sybil started to date. Being this was the pre-internet days, I assume she made a couple of edits to my grandmother's ad in Screw magazine or put an ad in the Want Ad Press to meet people. I never asked.

For a little while she was seeing this guy who once took me out for a steak dinner. He was nice enough but he looked like my Calculus teacher, Mr. Fallon, who threw me out of class for telling him to shut up, so I might have had some misplaced rage when I was around him. I told him he wasn't my dad when he wanted to play catch and I cried in my room until he came up and told me I wasn't mad at him, but my dad for leaving. He was right. We hugged it out. Fine after the steak dinner I went back to college and never saw him again.

Other than Mr. Fallon I only heard about what I can imagine was a long line of suitors.

The story went like this according to Sybil:

This man asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in his Porsche. We drove around for an hour. Do you know he didn't even offer me anything to eat or drink during the ride. This beauty will spend on a fancy car, but is too cheap to offer to stop and get me a drink. I never talked to him again.

I assume the guy had a few drinks after dropping Sybil off.

Thankfully after that Sybil spared me the details of her dating life which I assume is still very active.








No comments:

Post a Comment