Sunday, May 4, 2014

Children cause high cholesterol

Back in the '80's my mother's cholesterol was rising faster than the DOW Industrial Average (not 1987).  When Sybil finally got a blood test I think she was pushing about 425.  A normal person would put down the cup of butter they carry everywhere and take a long hard look at their lifestyle and figure out what needs to change.  Well that would be a normal person.  Instead my mother decided to blame me and my brother for her lack of self control and bad genetics.  It was because we were so bad that the stress drove the numbers through the roof.  Never mind she hadn't exercised since Truman was in office.  Never mind that she was from a generation that thought noodle kugel was fortified with vitamins.  It was all because I was a brat that she was close to stroking out.  For every time I didn't listen a few extra points were added to her LDL.  Sure Lipitor brought her numbers down to a respectable range but if she didn't have such horrible children she wouldn't have needed the medicine in the first place.  I've had to carry this guilt a long time.  I wish I was a better child.

Her love of lobster played no part in her heart disease.  That does bring up another post I need to write, "If someone else is paying for dinner, order the lobster."


More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment