Thursday, May 29, 2014

Officer Sybil reporting for duty

When I was in first grade, elementary school was a scary place. I have vivid memories of the sixth graders smoking cigarettes, porking on the tire playground and there might have been a kid who drove a Trans-Am. These kids scared the shit out of me as well as my brother. Mostly because they looked like extras from Escape From New York. I was smart enough to stay away from these delinquents. My brother not so much. There was one day in particular when the sixth graders were pistol whipping some smaller kid and Lewis decided to intervene.  He begged this one kid Peter to stop. Peter wanted to know what Lewis would do for him. Lewis offered to bribe him, but this is the kicker, he had no money on him. He suggested Peter come to our house after school and ask my mother for the money. Now either Lewis is a genius or this kid is a retard because he agreed. Now under the best circumstances, a kid going to a house and requesting money so he doesn't beat someone up is never going to go well, but on top of that you throw Sybil in the mix and you have a recipe for disaster.

So Peter showed up to the house, but Sybil wasn't home so the house keeper relayed the story to her. In disbelief Sybil asked Lewis for full details and for Peter's address. This is where I come in. Sybil grabbed me and brought me along for the ride to teach Peter a lesson. Sybil banged on his door with me standing next to her. Peter's mom came to the door and out of nowhere Sybil pulled out a NYC Truancy Badge and announced that she was a Truancy Officer and was there because Peter tried to extort money from Lewis. Peter's mom was disgusted with the situation and told Sybil she could beat her son if she wanted. Sybil declined shockingly, but requested Peter leave Lewis alone from that point on.

I know this is a long winded story but the key take away is my mother carried a Truancy Badge. I to this day have no idea where she got it or how many times she pulled it out. For that matter she may still carry it.

Editor's Note - I was just reminded that when Sybil went to Peter's door, she asked him how old he was and his response was old enough.  The kid was maybe 12.  Such huge balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment