Sunday, May 25, 2014

Reason to have a Will

Since my grandmother lived with us and wasn't born in America I guess it's no surprise she didn't have a last will and testament. All she had was a bunch of really nice jewelry that either came from my grandfather lavishing her with gifts or according to my father, my grandparents were neighborhood loan sharks who amassed a collection of jewelry as collateral over the years. Either story sounds very romantic.

My mother took care of my grandmother in her declining years and made the executive decision that all of the jewelry was now hers. It would have been a fine theory if my mother didn't have siblings. Specifically a sister who felt she was entitled to some of the baubles. The two of them fought for years over the collection. Finally my mother appeased my aunt by giving her some of the less desirable stuff that claimed to not care about.

Flash forward ten years to when not only is my grandmother dead but so is my aunt. While mourning the loss (telling police I drive too fast as a coping mechanism), my mother asked me the following:

"Do you think it would be wrong to ask my sister's kids for my mother's jewelry back?

I responded with, "I bet that will go over well."

Shockingly she didn't do it.  I bet she regrets it though.


No comments:

Post a Comment