Friday, May 30, 2014

The children shall inherit the earth

It's a sad state of affairs that I didn't learn that littering was wrong until I was 18 when I received a ticket for throwing a tissue covered in snot out of my car window. It was actually a gauze pad. I didn't have any tissues and some how had gauze and medical tape handy. It relates to a girl I was dating but that is another story.

As a child I had the "I learned it by watching you motto" and with that I actually thought littering was totally normal. For example, Sybil would take us to McDonald's. We would eat in the car and then when finished, roll down the windows of the corolla and just toss the styrofoam and cups and remnants of fries onto route 17.

This was just how we did things. Sybil used to love to tell the story of how when Lewis was a baby she changed him in the car and threw his shit filled diaper onto the windshield of a parked car as she drove away.

So many Indians shed a tear as Sybil drove around discarding whatever she felt like into oncoming traffic. The funny thing is you would think Sybil would have had a clean car considering, but actually there was just as much trash on the floor as there was thrown out the window.

I need to ask her what her system was for what stayed and what went.

Sorry for the extra typos. This post was done on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment